Rhubarb Crumble Cake
350g/ 12 oz rhubarb
880g/3oz self raising flour
80g/3oz sugar plus 1 tablespoon
30g ground almonds
2 medium eggs
For the crumble top:
80g/3oz plain flour
1 level teaspoon ground ginger
30g/1oz brown sugar
handful of rolled oats or muesli
To serve: double cream, ice cream or custard
- Pre heat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Oil a 17cm/7” deep spring release cake tin. Line the base with a disc of greased greaseproof paper.
- Trim the Rhubarb and cut into pieces about 2.5cm/1” long.
- Make the crumble: sift together the flour and ginger. Cut the butter into small pieces and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and oats and set aside.
- To make the cake: put the butter, flour, the 80g/3oz sugar and eggs together in a bowl. Beat together for a minute or two until pale and slightly fluffy. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Carefully arrange the rhubarb on top of the cake mixture. Sprinkle over the tablespoon of sugar. Lastly sprinkle over the crumble mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and crisp top. Loosen the edges with a knife and cool completely in the tin before turning out. Serve cold or warm with cream, ice cream or custard.